November 7, 2007

10,000 feet or the bottom of the Ocean?

So what is your worst fear? How about your top three?

When you come up with them, what would it take to do them? My top ones are heights and closed spaces. I can climb ladders but it is taking the step- that gets me. Closed spaces they get to me when I am not in control to get out of them.
Two things that would set me over the edge are sky diving and a submarine.
I say all of this because a great friend of mine overcame a fear of his tonight. Not in a way that it isn't a fear any longer, but in a way that he faced it and won. Being in front of people is not one of his favorite things, let alone talking. So tonight he not only got in front of others and spoke but he painted-expressing his talent for all to see.
Why did he do that?
Because I asked-no, because he wanted to conquer his fear-no. He did it because of his relationship with Jesus, because of what He is doing with his heart. It has been an amazing journey to watch him grow and tonight was a sight to see. It was amazing to watch and to see the students soak it in. To watch them experience God in a new way-something that we all wont soon forget.
So after watching Pat go through this experience, I sit here tonight wondering if I would do the same. If I was called by Jesus to reach someone while sky diving, or in a bottom of the ocean-would I do it. The thought alone makes my stomach turn a little as I write it. So I am more than proud of Pat, I am in awe of him. I also know that he will be there if....actually when I need him to help me jump out of that plane.

No comments: