April 30, 2010

I will remember tonight for a long time.

I thought that I was going to explain day 5 and how my wonderful experience at the Culinary Institute ended. Instead the past few hours have really taken on a whole new life of their own.

As I was making my plans for this trip, I decided to not take a chance on rushing to catch my flight. Instead I decided to come back to the city, spend the night then leave in the morning. When I was looking for a hotel I decided to use my points system and stay in a free, very nice, one-so I selected the W-Hotel. The rooms are $500 a night, but it didn't cost me a thing (well $60 for parking!).

Driving in New York was more than interesting, this place I am sure has a lot of nice people-but I don't think they are on the roads! I arrive at the hotel check-in and head to my room. If you have never stayed at a W-Hotel, they pride themselves on the experience of your stay. They go out of their way for customer service and the modern decor of the place is shocking. Here is the lobby, the check in counter and one of the rooms.





The reason I show you all this, is that they really go out of their way to make you feel welcomed. So when I went to my room I wasn't surprised to see a very modern and cool looking room. So I settled in turned on the TV and started touching base with reality as I caught up on the devastating oil spill. Brandon Rogers called to chat and see how the week went, which was great to catch up. After the conversation I started to look around the room and see what was there and what I was going to have for dinner. I notice a nice glass of wine by the ice bucket on a note from the hotel that says-"Why not that's what we say too". So I tried it and it wasn't wine but more of an after dinner drink of liquor-very strong. Then I check out the very modern bathroom-whoever design it did a great job. I sit back down and watch more TV taking a few more sips on the complimentary beverage. Watching sports center and relaxing I decide to unpack a little and wash up for dinner. I head to the bathroom and notice that the soap wasn't a new one. I thought that to be odd for a place like this, but I excused it and moved on. Dinner arrived, and after wards I went back into the bathroom and then I saw this little bottle on the shelf and thought it was odd that they left eye solution in the room. (there were many little bottles of soaps, lotion, etc.) I came back out sat back down on the bed and something didn't feel right. It was like I was in the movies and things were in slow motion. I felt a little uncomfortable so I grab the phone and dialed the front desk.

Let me stop for a moment and say that the W-Hotels are amazing and what I am about to explain could happen anywhere. Also let me say that I am alright, and I am typing this now!

Back to my night. The front desk answered the phone and I asked for the manager-quickly one responded. I told her that there was something strange in the room that I wanted to ask her about. I asked about the soap at the sink, if they always put a new one there-she said every time sir! Then I asked if they provided eye solution for their guest, she said she could have some brought up. I interrupted said no thanks, but asked if it was odd that there was eye solution in the room. She said yes that there should not be-then it hit me like a 2x4! I said "Please tell me you guys place a nice glass of liquor or wine in the room for the guest when they arrive"! She replied-what are you talking about? I sat down on the bed and started to explain to her what took place over the last couple of hours. She said she was sending someone to my room. I started to feel gross as I got up from the bed and thought that maybe it wasn't cleaned either. Quickly I jumped into the shower to clean up, as I was drying off I say a used bard of soap in the shower with hair on it. I got dressed and the manager of house keeping and the general manager of the welcome desk was at my door.

They brought in an investigator that works for the hotel to document, take pictures, etc. I asked them to leave me alone for a little bit so I could try and chill out. I was very warm and my heart was racing, but I didn't know if that was from something in my drink or just anxiety from the situation. I of course cant get sick so the thought of that or having my stomach pumped didn't really work for me. So i ordered bread and water to try and dilute anything that potentially was now in me.

I am in a new room now, trying to settle my nerves. I am glad they keep on checking in to see if I am alright, but hoping that at some point I can call it a night and get some sleep.

I know it is weird to drink and open glass of something in your room, but when you trust the hotel and it is the W-it never even crosses your mind as something dangerous. So here is to a very weird night!

1 comment:

maryb said...

My heart is racing too as I read this Marcus!! WHAT do you think happened exactly????