April 21, 2014

The time is now! not after I… or when I….

I have been praying and thinking about this post for over a month.  I can't get it out of my mind for many reasons, here are some:

Every time I hear this song it brings me back to the same place and thoughts,
Every time I think about the Food Drive I think about this,
Every time the Care Center is open and I watch our volunteers serve our friends, I think about this!

This world is full of Christians, but for most its just words.  This world is falling apart and it is dying faster than we can make disciples.  There is evil, hurt, pain, suffering, sinfulness, pride, etc. in this world.  There are also busy schedules, selfish desires, and "let someone else do it" attitudes.

We just ended a 90 day challenge at our church. We have heard stories of life change as people spent 10 min a day in the word, gave 10% of their income and served 10 hours a month.  I have seen even more!  I have had the privilege of watching peoples lives changed forever!  They were busy also, they had little ones, they had all the things going on in your life.  They made a decision, and their action (not their words) has changed them forever.

The lyrics below will bring out one of two main responses.

Either Amen, I am in, Lets go! Or I can't, not now, I am too busy, or even rolling of the eyes. I pray that it is the first one.  If its not please take some time and really think if there is a change needed in your life.

Here are the lyrics to the Matthew West song "Do Something"!

I woke up this morning
Saw a world full of trouble now
Thought, how’d we ever get so far down
How’s it ever gonna turn around
So I turned my eyes to Heaven
I thought, “God, why don’t You do something?”

Well, I just couldn’t bear the thought of
People living in poverty
Children sold into slavery
The thought disgusted me
So, I shook my fist at Heaven
Said, “God, why don’t You do something?”
He said, “I did, I created you”

If not us, then who
If not me and you
Right now, it’s time for us to do something
If not now, then when
Will we see an end
To all this pain
It’s not enough to do nothing
It’s time for us to do something

I’m so tired of talking
About how we are God’s hands and feet
But it’s easier to say than to be
Live like angels of apathy who tell ourselves
It’s alright, “somebody else will do something”
Well, I don’t know about you
But I’m sick and tired of life with no desire
I don’t want a flame, I want a fire
I wanna be the one who stands up and says,
“I’m gonna do something”

If not us, then who
If not me and you
Right now, it’s time for us to do something
If not now, then when
Will we see an end
To all this pain
It’s not enough to do nothing
It’s time for us to do something

We are the salt of the earth
We are a city on a hill (shine shine, shine shine)
But we’re never gonna change the world
By standing still
No we won’t stand still
No we won’t stand still
No we won’t stand still


If you agree that this world is a mess, the same world that your children will soon be responsible for-then its time our actions speak louder than words!

We are plan A and there isn't a plan B!

We need to stop living selfish lives, instead live loving lives serving others!

We need to be examples to our children and show them serving others DAILY is the only way!

We need to start now.
There are families around us all that need our help!
There are children that live in our neighborhoods who need our help!
People are hurting, lonely and starving next door to us and we can help!

I remember this poem or saying I read 15 years ago before I was a christian!

It 100 years it won't matter how much money I had in the bank, what type of car I drove and how big my house was.  It will only matter the impact that I had on the lives of the children (and people) around me.

When you and I look back 10, 20 or 50 years from now-will we wish we would have done more? Will this world be a better place for our children because of what you have done?

Where to start?
If you are not already engaged in something that is life changing for others on a weekly basis, then start somewhere.
If you are engaged in something, are you serving weekly? If not what could you change in your schedule to do that?



We can change this world, we can help those around us! We need to start now.  If we all do, I mean ALL of us-this world will change overnight! We can end hunger, I firmly believe we can.  To me that isn't a slogan or a life motto.  I firmly believe God has shown a way to start loving on people and changing this world and its through serving those who are hungry.  If that is true, or maybe its ending something else in this world through our actions, and we don't do it-that's not a legacy I want to leave!

I pray that you change your life and you start today. Whatever you are doing, can't you do more?
Jesus came and showed us the way. It was all about serving and loving those around us.

If not you then who?


No comments: